Yield: 4 portions
2 red beets
2 golden beets
2 red beets
.5 cup creme fraiche
2 tbsp prepared horseradish
6 baby beets
2 cups of canola oil
4 oz smoked trout
1 tsp of dijon mustard
1/4 cup of orange juice
1 cup of canola oil
Salt to taste
1 head of Frissee
(Alternatively, 1 cup of arugula)
1. Boil the beets whole in salted water for 1 hour, or until tender.
2. Using two towels, carefully pull off the beet skin. Cool, slice into very thin rounds and place on a plate in a single layer.
3. Gently heat canola oil in small pot. Peel and very thinly slice the baby beets. Fry in oil to create delicious beet chips. Salt when out of oil. Set aside.
4. Gently whisk the dijon and orange juice together. While constantly moving, slowly add 1 cup of canola oil to create the vinaigrette. Set aside.
5. Clean the head of frisee so only the yellow leaves remain. Set aside.
6. Combine the horseradish and creme fraiche. Set aside.
7. To finish, gently brush the beets on the plate with the vinegrette. Dress the frisee as well and then erratically arrange the leaves, beet chips and trout around the plate. Add dots of creme fraiche to finish.
Alternatively, remove the trout for a vegan dish.